Massachusetts law provides for a discretionary fingerprint-based background check for school volunteers and chaperones. The following direction on whether a fingerprint check is required for specific activities applies to all schools of the Nashoba Regional School District.
A fingerprint background check is not required in any school for volunteers and chaperones engaged in the following activities:
- Classroom volunteers;
- Chaperones/volunteers on field trips with no overnight component;
- Volunteers assisting at school activities such as dances, plays, and concerts, or assisting in the office.
A fingerprint background check is required in all schools for individuals, volunteers, and chaperones engaged in the following activities:
- Overnight field trip chaperones/volunteers;
- Volunteer athletic coaches, club advisors, or other volunteers who will have extended direct and unmonitored contact with students; and
- Volunteers/chaperones who transport students in private vehicles in accordance with section 1 (Transportation) of the NRSD Overnight Travel Protocol.
If a principal is unclear whether the role of a particular volunteer or chaperone requires a fingerprint check, the principal will consult with the superintendent of schools or her designee, who will determine if fingerprinting will be required based on a consideration of the following factors:
- Likelihood of direct and unmonitored contact with students;
- Duration of any incidental contact with students; and
- The ability of employees to limit potential for unmonitored contact.
Fingerprinting Scheduling Link:
Nashoba District Code: 07250000